Friday Afternoon, February 6
The Annual Membership and Business Meeting and Lunch will include an informative lunch seminar and the presentation of the Jack D. Rittenhouse Award, PubWest’s highest recognition of service to the book culture of the West.
Meet with your publishing peers and discuss issues and topics that are important to you. Build on discussions started in the morning sessions, share ideas, and tackle problems with new people. Roundtables run concurrently and are led by PubWest members. This year’s moderators are:
Editorial: Michael Greer, Pearson, Development by Design
Sales/Marketing: Patty O’Sullivan, Prospect Park Books
Production/Design: Tim Hewitt, Friesens Corporation
Financial/Administrative: Brad Farmer, Gibbs Smith Publisher
WeNote, not Keynote : An Open Discussion about Publishing Challenges in the Marketplace (plenary)
Join your colleagues in a unique plenary discussion on such driving issues as:
- The Big A: Do you see Amazon as a destructive predator or a helpful partner? Has your relationship with Amazon changed in recent months? What steps are you taking to maximize benefits from selling (or not selling) to Amazon?
- The Big B&N: Is Barnes & Noble’s business crucial to yours? Has the overhaul of their stores affected you in positive or negative ways? Are buyers’ communication channels open to you?
- The Big Discounters: Wal-Mart, Costco, Target, Kmart—are these stores desirable partners for independent publishers?
- Returns: Are they increasing, decreasing, staying level? How can we minimize them?
- The Independents: How can we better partner with independent retailers?
- Why We Publish: With retailers and writers adopting the function of publishers, what can we do to educate our customers and our communities about the vital function we publishers provide?
- Anything Else! Find the form in your registration packet for submitting other topics for discussion.
Moderated by a panel of board members—Dave Trendler, Katie Burke, and Derek Lawrence—this WeNote session offers a unique opportunity to share information and ideas.
Happy Hour in the Exhibit Hall will be followed by a free evening at your leisure!
Enjoy a stroll through the streets of Pasadena. Visit the art galleries, dine with colleagues, or simply enjoy some downtime with this event-free evening. For more local details, see the registration desk or visit the concierge at the Westin Pasadena.